Dear Beautiful Souls,
These are times of great uncertainty. Each day, we hear news of unsettling developments from every corner of the globe. We never know what the next moment will hold. The cumulative effect of this turbulence can be exhausting. We begin to wonder: How long can this go on? How long can I go on? In the modern world, responding to current events is an endurance event, not a sprint. It’s essential that we sustain ourselves.
One important way to do this is to take a longer view on the meaning and effect of chaos. From our limited perspective, the world can seem random and heartless. Yet we can take comfort in the knowledge that the unpredictability is a kind of Divine order that we do not yet understand.
Chaos theory tells us that a force as tiny as the fluttering of a butterfly’s wing can ultimately affect the weather hundreds of miles away. In a dynamic system such as the Earth’s weather, minor differences in initial conditions can create unpredictable, far-reaching long-term results.
Chaos is powerful, but it is not random. Although we may find chaos uncomfortable, it is a productive and dynamic force driving growth. It is intended for the greater purpose of instigating evolution, both on a personal level and on a planetary level. In life, each one of us is exposed to different inputs that shape us. Whether we experience them as positive or negative, they provide opportunities for us to evolve to our fullest potential. They are part of the Divine’s plan for us.
While change and unpredictability may make us uneasy, they come with a beautiful and important gift. Chaos offers us a precious opportunity to meet one of the soul’s deepest needs: to find ways to express its unique essence and qualities. Every soul comes with a figurative fingerprint, a blend of God-given gifts and talents. You are born with such gifts so that you can add to life in your own unique ways and thus fulfill the intention of your creation. Times of change and unpredictability can lead you to your life purpose.
Each one of us plays a role in maintaining and restoring the balance of the planet. Realizing this, you move into conscious living – a state in which you can’t help but do good in the world. You realize that your contribution matters, and so you take responsibility for your actions and your impact. You harness chaos as a force of growth and channel its energy in service of a greater cause.
Chaos comes with a second important gift: the insight that there’s always an ultimate power that holds and governs the universe. As we seek ways to express our purpose, we must understand that we cannot predict or control the outcomes. All we can control are our intentions, the choices we make, and the actions we take. Beyond our limited sphere of influence lies the Divine.
When we accept this, we access a place of profound security. In times of change and unpredictability, it can be a great comfort to know that it’s not all up to us. We step into a sacred circle with the Divine in which we take action as we pray for the outcomes we desire. We do not exist in a random and arbitrary context; life is a journey in which we are guided and supported every step of the way.
So how do we get in touch with our life purpose – and then navigate the delicate balance between taking action and surrendering?
- First, identify your gifts and talents. What were your childhood dreams? What were you especially good at? What were your favorite realms of imagination? These are early manifestations of your innate gifts.
- Choose an area of focus. What area of need calls to you? Let go of thoughts about what you “should” care about, and instead ask yourself what inspires genuine passion. Look for ways to apply your gifts and talents in this area.
- Take one small step at a time. Don’t be discouraged by the magnitude of the problems or the amount of work to be done. It’s not possible to save the world all at once. Just do what you can.
- Surrender the outcome to the Divine. Once you’ve taken action, let go. Notice what happens, and keep listening. Be open to guidance about the next steps.
- Care for yourself in the process. When change is constant, it's exhausting; learn how to move between cycles of action and rest. Understand what your true nature needs, are you an introvert who needs time alone? Would you benefit from going out and meeting friends in order to sustain yourself through the change?. Whatever that works for you, create a space where you nurture your physical, emotional and mental self while maintaining a grand vision for your life.
The unpredictability of world events may be uncomfortable, but it also allows us to view life differently. The universe is a divinely guided system in which growth is continually driven by the engine of chaos. Your personal evolution is intimately connected with the evolution of the planet. When we accept the truth that life is uncertain, dynamic, and responsive, we understand that life is our spiritual nest. Within it we grow, we learn, we seek guidance and support, and we fly as we use challenge as an opportunity realize our fullest potential.
Would you like to join our community? Sign up today to get your free copy of The Surrender Journal, a valuable tool to spiritual discovery. Use the form on the right sidebar to enter your name and email address.